Thank you for using our dictionary.
This resource is based on the fullest English-Azerbaijani dictionary ever published in Azerbaijan – the one edited by doctor of philology, professor Oruj (Turksevar) Musayev that includes 130,000 entries. Besides, the database of this online dictionary is constantly updated by professional editors of our Translation Agency based on their daily activity. We also hope that the users will substantially contribute to the dictionary database to make it even more comprehensive.
The database includes human-made dictionaries/glossaries and has nothing to do neither with computer-based dictionaries nor machine translations.
Users of the website can create their own profiles that will include their professional background and activity statistics. Such information may be interesting for individuals/companies that need translation, copywriting services etc.
- English-Azerbaijani Dictionary, edited by Oruj Musayev. 130,000 entries. “Sharg-Garb” publishing house, 2002.
In order to make use of the website more convenient and useful, please familiarize yourself with the following Rules.
Rules of the Website
- You need to register for becoming an active participant of the website.
- Upon registration you will be able to:
- Add words (on any page of the website),
- Edit or delete your entries (on your profile page),
- Report the errors and mistakes of other users (on search results page).
- If you wish, upon registration you can add your photo, CV, contact details, links to social media pages etc. to your profile.
- Your profile will also automatically generate your web activity statistics including new entries and error reports made by you.
- Your profile info will be available to other users who will get personal impression about you and also assess correctness of terminology that you suggest.
How to add entries
- Your User Name will appear next to your entry and users will be able to view your full profile by clicking on it.
- In order to make your entries searchable and useful for the website visitors, please follow the guidelines below:
- Fields marked with star * are mandatory.
- One original word shall correspond to several translation options but not vice versa.
- Translation options should be separated by semicolon “;” symbol.
- Never use fraction “/”, dash “-“ or brackets ( ) symbols in the translation line. To avoid it, either use semicolon to separate different translation options and put all additional information in “Example/Explanation” field.
Incorrect: Translation: kürək/bel ağrısı
Correct: Translation: kürək ağrısı; bel ağrısı
- Word: backbone
Incorrect: Translation: kötük (kitabda, dəftərdə və s.)
Correct: put explanation given in the brackets (kitabda, dəftərdə və s.) to the “Example/Explanation” field
- Please spell check your entries thoroughly.
- Carefully select appropriate part of speech for the original word that you add.
- If you cannot find appropriate topic in the drop down list, you can suggest your own option. However, to avoid over expansion of the topics list try to stick to the existing ones. If you are going to add just several words on the topic that is not on the list, better use “Note” field to indicate the topic.
- In “Example/Explanation” field add example of use in sentence or phrase, context, explanation and other useful information to support your entry. You can also insert hyperlinks to external web resources here.
- In “Note” field you can add source of the entry. For example, if it is a paper dictionary, include the author’s name, publishing house and year of publication. If it is your personal glossary, you can specify translation that had been basis of the glossary. This information will be useful for moderators while viewing your entries.
- When a new entry is added, the program checks whether it already exists in the database. If not, it is automatically included.
- Upon adding a new entry, the program updates the total number of entries on the home page and displays a new word in the 10 last added entries list as well as reflects this fact in the Statistics of added words in your Profile.
- If you wish to add the glossary, you do not need to add individual words, all you have to do is to upload the whole glossary file. After moderator’s revision and removal of all duplicates with the existing database, the glossary will be included to the dictionary and number of the added words will be reflected in your Profile Statistics.
- Moderator will check the words upon they have been added. When necessary, he/she can edit or delete the entry. Appropriate changes will be reflected in your web activity statistics.
- The circle symbol next to the word added in your Profile Statistics indicates the status of its moderation. The yellow circle means that the word is pending for moderation, green - the word is approved by the moderator, red - the word is rejected. You can edit or delete your word only when the circle is yellow. After moderation done, the word cannot be changed or deleted.
Number of search queries is determined as of the time of adding entry to the database and can be viewed by inserting the word into the search field.
How to delete or edit the added entries
- In your Profile you can edit or delete words suggested by you. To the words added by other users you can only provide an error report.
- If you have noticed a mistake in the word added by another user, you can report it to Moderator through “Error Report” form on the search results page. You need to highlight the word that you think is incorrect and specify the mistake. After moderation process the mistake will be fixed.